AVP Tax, Financial Services
United Personnel in partnership with a local client is seeking an experienced tax professional to join its Tax Department. This role is ideal for a financial services tax professional who is comfortable working in multiple areas of taxation while helping execute long term business goals in an evolving business environment. This is an opportunity to help build the infrastructure of a rapidly growing company with significant growth potential.
This role requires a strong working knowledge of the tax compliance requirements and associated tax planning and issues relating to insurance companies, partnerships and investment funds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage tax compliance activities performed by Big 4 Firms via a co-sourcing arrangement relating to preparation and review of (i) quarterly and annual GAAP (and where applicable STAT) financial provisions and disclosures for client’s insurance and noninsurance companies, partnerships and other pass thru entities, (ii) quarterly calculations of federal and state taxable income estimates and related partnership distributions, and (iii) federal and state income, premium and information tax returns for client’s corporate, partnership and other pass thru entities.
- Interpret, apply and implement tax-related accounting standards and associated disclosures; research tax positions and prepare tax memoranda for financial tax and income tax accounting purposes; evaluate current tax requirements and the impact of legislation and rulings on client’s tax return positions.
- Manage quarterly communications to individual partners of client’s partnership entities and respond to partner questions, track changes in entity ownership and maintain distribution documentation.
- Participate in partnership and investment fund structuring as client grows its asset management business (e.g., onboarding of new entities, new partners and related tax planning).
- Manage several client’s continuing modeling projects, including Client Tax’s contributions to the 5 Year Plan and Embedded Value Measurement workstreams, and other income tax forecasting modelling work relating to strategic tax planning and potential M&A transactions.
- Partner with colleagues to (i) identify, assess and implement federal and state savings strategies, (ii) address tax accounting and reporting aspects of transactions and ongoing tax audits, and (iii) prepare information tax returns (e.g., FATCA, CRS, CbC, W-8s and W-9s).
- Design and implement processes to (i) develop and maintain companies’ tax deliverables in one easy centralized and accessible tax calendar management system, and (ii) implement tax technology solutions to automate processes relating to (a) tax return and provision preparation and (b) partnership tax reporting and distributions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting of Finance; CPA strongly preferred.
- Significant tax experience with financial and asset management service industries, corporations and partnerships.
- Minimum ten (10) years of tax reporting and compliance experience in the insurance and asset management industries, or in similar practices of a major public accounting firm.
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience with (i) insurance company taxation, (ii) partnership and CLO taxation, (iii) tax accounting (ASC 740 and SSAP 101), (iv) consolidated return rules and regulations, (v) FATCA/CRS and BEPS reporting, and (iv) ECI and FDAP information reporting.
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in oral and written form with strong attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to learn multiple areas of taxation.
- Strong computer spreadsheet and modelling skills and ability to develop models to meet internal reporting needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and efficiently as well as within a team orientation involving extensive collaboration with our Finance team.