President and CEO
The Westmass Area Development Corporation, (aka Westmass) mission is to promote, stimulate, develop, and advance the business prosperity and economic welfare of the western Massachusetts region and its citizens. Westmass accomplishes this mission through the acquisition, permitting and development of land, infrastructure, and buildings. The President/CEO provides the leadership to advance this mission, and is responsible for the management and development of all corporate resources and initiatives as well as the daily activities of the organization.
The President/CEO’s responsibilities include working closely with the Chair, Executive Committee and Members of the Board of Directors, providing leadership and vision to the organization, and to the businesses and the communities of the region concerning issues of economic development..
The President/CEO is directly responsible for negotiating corporate acquisitions, land sales, leases and incentive proposals, grant applications and management as well as marketing Westmass’ resources and development services to organizations and businesses considering investment in the region.
The President /CEO is responsible for preparing and managing the organization’s annual budget, evaluating opportunities for industrial park development and land acquisition, and coordinating federal, state and local economic development resources.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to United Personnel at email@example.com.
Duties and Responsibilities;
- Lead and work with the Board of Directors and Westmass staff to ensure mission and operating goals of the organization are met;
- Communicate with the Chair, Executive Committee and members of the Board of Directors and other Westmass Committees, staff, the public, industry leaders, federal, state and local municipal officials, elected office holders:
- Collaborate with the Economic Development Council of Western Massachusetts (EDC) and EDC affiliates and others;
- Administer and manage the corporation, its staff and resources;
- Implement the Corporation’s Strategic Plan through the development of goals, objectives, and tactics;
- Prepare and manage the organization’s annual budget; ensure expenses are controlled and accurately recorded;
- Pursue development and diversify revenue sources;
- Recruit and manage a team to support the strategy and objectives of Westmass, including the development of the appropriate structure and size of the organization; recruit key personnel; and identify external partners to accomplish short and long term goals;
- Coordinate economic development efforts with communities and economic development affiliates;
- Work with real estate professionals, developers, site selectors, MassEcon, MOBD, MassDevelopment and other professionals and agencies to enhance industrial and business park development to provide fully permitted inventory of Westmass land and buildings;
- Prepare and implement a proactive marketing plan designedto attract businesses and companies to Westmass’ properties;
- Maintain an active public relations effort and attend and participate in relevant economic development events, trade shows,conferences, and other events, meetings, receptions to further the corporation’s mission;
- Cultivate and collaborate with relevant elected and appointed officials at the Local; State; and Federal levels;
- Apply for and manage grant funding for the purpose of Economic Development – including federal, state and local funding;
- Perform other duties or assignments consistent with the mission of Westmass as directed by its Chair and Board of Directors.
- Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in economic development including managing a small development corporation or similar economic development organization, agency or department. The President/CEO will have the ability to think strategically and possess the knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development.
- Communications: Strong verbal and written communication skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively. The President/CEO must be experienced with speaking at public forums, with Boards of Directors, interested prospects and staff. The President/CEO of Westmass will be experienced in developing and delivering effective presentations.
- Financial: Ability and knowledge to effectively manage the corporation’s financial resources and provide accurate financial reports. The President/CEO will have successful experience overseeing the application for and allocation of public/private grant funds. Knowledge of state and federal economic development incentives, grant programs and resources is required.
- Technical Expertise: Skills and knowledge to utilize the available technologies and implement new technological advances to enhance the effectiveness of the corporation.
- Planning: The President/CEO will possess the ability to effectively develop and help implement short and long range goals of the organization and must be able to create and maintain development plans for each corporate project;
- Professional Attributes: The President/CEO must be energetic, professional, and have the ability to earn the trust and confidence of others while being objective with observations and recommendations and promote a culture of teamwork and innovation within the organization.