Petersen Engineering, a rapidly growing, sustainability-focused MEP/FP firm in Portsmouth, NH, seeks a “superhero” to serve as our Controller. Founded in 1992, we have developed deep expertise in mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection engineering. We’re serious about high-quality engineering and construction as well as pursuing a sustainable approach to our work and our life/work balance. We have a strong sense of common purpose, respect, and collaboration, and our crew has the grit and determination needed to solve problems and balance the unpredictability we often encounter working in the design and construction field. Our company provides Boston-quality engineering services to architects throughout the Northeast, while offering a Portsmouth quality of life for our team. Many of our employees walk or bike to our office, in the heart of downtown Portsmouth.
As Controller, you will work closely with our team to develop and implement top notch business, financial and HR strategies. With your strong administration skills, you will ensure that our operational processes run smoothly by overseeing certain functions (ex. payroll, our project management software) and providing support to the project management team. You will also use your accounting expertise to manage our finances, provide business analyses, oversee the budgeting and accounting processes, and generate reports critical to our planning and operations. You will be a key player in ensuring that we have the systems we need in place to accommodate our rapid growth. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial and fluid in your approach, as your position will evolve and grow as we identify new opportunities for Petersen Engineering.
To apply, please submit a cover letter describing your controller super powers, along with a resume to search firm United Personnel at email@example.com by May 16, 2019.
- Manage the company’s finances using QuickBooks online, including invoicing, A/R, and A/P.
- Lead the transition toward integrating our bookkeeping and project management software (QuickBooks and CORE).
- Create, manage, and update accurate, professional progress customer invoices for 60+ active projects.
- Complete and submit bi-weekly payroll to payroll processing company.
- Work with staff members to create forecasts for projects.
- Create an operating budget with projected revenues, expenses and cash flows.
- Administer various company benefits programs (401K, business, health, and disability insurance, employee expense reports, Paid Time Off), and make recommendations with respect to benefits so that we remain an employer of choice.
- Assist with HR functions including hiring, compliance (tracking new laws, implementing best practices, record keeping), company culture efforts, helping to ensure Petersen Engineering is an employer of choice.
- Manage company vehicle maintenance program.
- Develop a company/employee manual.
- General office management, including ordering office supplies, planning company outings, managing employee birthday and anniversary information.
- A passion for our sustainability mission
- Prior bookkeeping, payroll, invoicing, and small business accounting experience. Must have a full understanding of the accounting cycle that includes, closing out the month, quarter and year and will work alongside with the CPA firm.
- Highly proficient in QuickBooks, MS Office Suite
- Knowledge in BQE Core application.
- Strong communication skills (including verbal, written, listening, and presentation skills)
- Highly organized, with great attention to detail.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as a business manager or in a related position, and/or demonstrated office management skills (including personal organization, office organization, workflow techniques).
- Ability to solve moderate to complex logistical problems.
- A high degree of honesty and integrity in all dealings.
- A service-oriented attitude - enthusiasm for ensuring customer delight.
- Ability to follow through to meet internal and external customer needs.
- Desire to embrace the challenges and opportunities of a growing organization.
- Ability and desire to work both independently and as part of a team.
- “Can-do” attitude; collaborative, resourceful and self-motivated.
- Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, administration, accounting, or related field.