About Proteus Fund
Proteus Fund is a full-service philanthropic organization that brings together like-minded partners to build effective social movements and create lasting change.
Proteus Fund is a public foundation that partners with other foundations, advocates and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights and peace. Our model is built on flexible, responsive high-quality grantmaking capacity, an efficient and customized framework of financial compliance, human resources, and other services, as well as our deep experience in facilitating collaborative social justice philanthropy.
Founded in 1994, Proteus and its aligned organizations have been responsible for over $200 million in grants to date toward the realization of our vision of a just, equitable and democratic world.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for assisting the finance department in creating accurate and timely financial records and reports for the organization. Also responsible for monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish the Proteus Fund and Proteus Action League (PAL) payroll processing.
This full-time, 40 hour per week position reports to the Controller and is located in Amherst, MA
- Coordinate and input payroll data into the payroll system for processing ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws
- Prepare and up-load the payroll data into the general ledger and maintain all payroll files
- Reconcile payroll with state and federal reporting
- Liaison with staff and payroll processor for payroll questions and concerns
- Review Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable records to ensure accuracy and recommend necessary cash requirements
- Determine and create adjusting journal entries as needed
- Generate financial reports as needed
- Assist with monthly and annual closing to include bank account and general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist with monthly financial reporting
- Supports the audit and budget processes
- Conform with and follow all regulations and generally accepted accounting principles
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies and characteristics:
· Commitment to mission and values of a progressive social justice organization
· Financial Management, reporting and compliance
· Prioritization/multi-talking/time management
· Communication proficiency
· Collaboration skills
· Technical capacity, specifically general ledger software
· Thoroughness and accuracy
· Personal effectiveness/credibility and high ethical standards
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent number of years of experience, plus three years of accounting experience. Experience with working in a complex nonprofit organization a plus.
The Proteus Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive progressive benefit program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performing and dedicated workforce.
Proteus Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Proteus encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.